Photos: 2-year-old twins & their Nigerian grandparents die in house fire in the US

, by Laura Ikeji


Two year old twins, Amal and Israel Omijie and their Nigerian grandparents, Carolyn, 55 & Sampson Omogbo, 63 were killed after their Prince George County home caught fire yesterday night into this morning in Chillum, Maryland. 

The mother of the twins, Elizabeth Omogbo, jumped from the second floor of the building when the fire started and is in a critical state in a hospital where she is receiving treatment. 

The grandparents were pronounced dead at the scene while the twins were taken in critical condition to a hospital where they died. The cause is yet to be ascertained but Firefighters have not found any evidence of a smoke alarm in the home. 

This incident has thrown the Nigerian community in the US into mourning. One of them identified as Festus Soho said 

"When I heard the [family's name] I just jumped into my car to come and confirm if it was the same address that I knew,". "I don't know what to think of this. I cannot believe it," family friend Adele Benjamin said through tears. Vincent Omogbo who is the brother to Sampson Omoogbo said he was stunned. "It's like a dream. I don't believe. My brother was very nice to everybody. He goes to church and he is very godly."he said. 

 The grandparents who died... 

Visit site and comments

0 comments:

INFINIX ON JUMIA