Trader sells son for N400,000 to boost business

, by Laura Ikeji

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a
28-year-old man, Okwuchukwu Ibekwe, for
allegedly selling his five-month-old son to a
syndicate in Anambra State for N400,000.
Our correspondent learnt that Okwuchukwu, who
lives on Shinaba Street, in the Iyana Iba area of
Lagos, had some difficulties in his trade and
allegedly decided with his wife to raise some
money by selling the baby.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the Ibekwes had
contacted one Chinelo, who is still on the run,
on December 17, 2015, for the transaction.
It was learnt that Chinelo, who stayed in Ihiala,
Anambra State, paid the Ibekwes N400,000 ─
N250,000 to the father and N150,000 to the
mother of the baby.
Our correspondent gathered that the man,
however, had a quarrel with his wife after
returning from his trip to Anambra. It was
gathered that when he refused to give the wife
her share, she reported the matter to the police.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the baby’s mother fled
the house after making the report.
Okwuchukwu was, however, arrested and
detained at the Police Gender Unit, Ikeja, while
police operatives also arrested Chinelo’s
husband in Anambra State. The baby and
Chinelo had yet to be found.
While being paraded on Wednesday,
Okwuchukwu said he collected N400,000 from
Chinelo in exchange for his son with the full
knowledge of his wife.
He said, “Chinelo was to give me N400,000 for
the baby. My wife was the one who suggested
that we dispose of the baby to meet our
business needs.
“But Chinelo gave me N250,000 for the baby
when I went to deliver him to her in Anambra
State.
“When I returned, my wife and I quarrelled and
she ran away for three days. I did not know that
she went to report the matter to the police. She
was concerned with her own share of N150,000.
“I sell vehicle spare parts in Ladipo market.
“It was a lawyer who called me that my wife
had reported me to the police, and that I should
come and see her. When I went there, I was
arrested.
“I do not know the whereabouts of my son. I did
not know Chinelo would run away with my
child.”
Our correspondent learnt that the police were
intensifying efforts to recover the baby.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai
Owoseni, who paraded the suspect, said the
case was undergoing “intense investigation.”
“The suspect is assisting the police with
information to recover the baby,” he added.

0 comments:

INFINIX ON JUMIA